Sunday, January 29, 2012

Literary Fashion Inspiration

As happy as I am to have been able to undertake weelittlestitches full-time, I do sometimes still miss my old day job.  I spent years working in retail as a fashion merchandiser - which is a fancy term for the person who makes the store look nice.  It was my job organize the wall, table, and window displays and to dress all the mannequins.  It was fun and creative and allowed me to play dress-up on a daily basis.  Personally I dress a little conservatively - I'm a Virgo, slightly over 30, and not exactly a size 6 - but when it came to mannquins and displays I could be as creative as I liked and I really miss that.

Enter Polyvore - a vertible playground for all things fashion and decor.  If you haven't discovered it yet, you simply must - it's a total time-suck, but worth every minute.  There you can play dress-up all you want, without any consideration of budget or body type.  It's wonderful and it's given me a chance to combine two of my loves - fashion and literature! 

Introducing Miss Elizabeth Bennet


Introducing Alice


Introducing Miss Anne Shirley


Introducing Miss Eliza Doolittle

Introducing Miss Eliza Doolittle by weelittlestitches


See Mom & Dad?  Isn't it nice to know that the 40K I spent on my B.A.H in English Literature is coming in handy?? 

3 comments:

  1. Or if you're a writer, you can go to town with your characters. *proceeds to waste massive amounts of time, all in the name of research*

    Thanks! I'd never heard of this before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh! You're totally right (I'm a writer too) Why didn't I think of that?!?!

      Delete
  2. They're gorgeous, I love them.
    And thanks for sending the charts I ordered on Friday over so fast.

    ReplyDelete